There is no room for an “independent spirit” in the Body of Christ!!! – Rev. Jim Vaught
“Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul.” (Acts 4:32)
How can you encourage your pastor to be part of a weekly corporate prayer gathering with other pastors?
As mentioned in my devotional on July 8, 2007 titled Power to Change Team [www.yourdailyblessing.com/content.cfm?id=2381], Bowie Curry, the prayer coordinator for the Greater Fredericksburg area, connected me with Jack Stagman on June 18. Jack, who heads up the Loudoun Church Alliance, invited me to attend the monthly Shepherds Table meeting, hosted by Loudoun Church Alliance in Leesburg, Virginia, on July 5, 2007.
Our keynote speaker was Rev. Jim Vaught, who had been praying with a group of pastors every Tuesday morning for over twenty years. Together, the pastors have been believing for and working toward unity among churches in Loudoun County. Jim shared an outstanding message titled “Purpose for Biblical Unity.” The following are excerpts from Jim’s message. Be sure to visit today’s Link of the Day to better understand God’s heart on this crucial matter.
I will name five of the many reasons for UNITY in the Body of Christ in a geographical area. I like the number of “five” because it is the number for grace, and we need much grace in this area. Why unity?
1) FOR JESUS’ PLEASURE: Jesus, our Lord and Savior, gets pleasure when His church comes in unity! He gets pleasure from our corporate worship, from our corporate prayer, or even when we simply come together to break bread! Psalm 133 says: “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!”
2) FOR KINGDOM ADVANCEMENT: If we will walk in unity, we must share a common vision. The vision has to be on the Kingdom of God. We are all called to advance the Kingdom of God in our county. Our task is not about “building our church” or “building our ministry,” but our task is about advancing the Kingdom of God on earth, as God’s Spirit moves through the Church! Jesus said, “If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.” Mark 3:24
3) FOR OUR EDIFICATION: Every pastor must realize that he or she needs the pastor down the street. We individually and collectively need the other churches and various ministries in our area. I am forever amazed at the wonderful giftings in my Christian brothers and sisters! As I recognize these giftings as a gift to me personally and to the Body of Christ, I am edified!
4) FOR OUR SANCTIFICATION: Ephesians 5:27 tells us that Jesus has a vision for His Church. His vision is that “He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.” We know the Lord is progressively sanctifying His church, and He does this largely in the context of relationships with our natural family, with our church family, and with the body of Christ at large.
5) FOR SPIRITUAL WARFARE: We could also say: for protection and covering. The Bible says that the Kingdom of God is being opposed by “principalities, powers, and rulers of darkness and wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12 For example, the forces of deception and accusation are coming against the people in our region and in our churches constantly.
Jesus, only You can bring lasting and eternal unity. We ask You to move in power among the pastors in our communities to unite them in prayer and fellowship on a regular basis. Thank You for interceding for us. We bless Your holy name! Amen and hallelujah!
Link of the Day
Purpose for Biblical Unity – more complete message by Jim Vaught [http://yourdailyblessing.com/blog/wp-admin/www.yourdailyblessing.com/content.cfm?id=2405]
Blessings to dwell in unity with other brethren!
Your Daily Blessing News
Pastors and ministry leaders are invited to the next Shepherds Table meeting, hosted by Loudoun Church Alliance at Prison Fellowship in Leesburg, Virginia, on Aug 2, 2007 from 11 AM – 12:30 PM. The guest speaker is Pastor Jeff Good. Luncheon is sponsored by Hope Village. Praise and worship by Tom Gossage. Please get the word out and invite others.
Joseph Peck, M.D.
The Time Doctor
Author, I Was Busy, Now I’m Not
SHARE YOUR VICTORIES below!
It is easy, fun, and will inspire others.
There is tremendous power in a testimony. “And they overcame him (the devil) by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.” – Revelations 12:11
Poem by Hugh Traulsen
If you dare to care, then share!
If you share, pay heed!!
God will reward every good deed!!!